Monday, July 18, 2005

A series of beginnings

I've started many things in my life, and I haven't regretted too many thus far. I've had a few friends begin blogs, and I thought, "the hell? I'm not starting a stupid blog. Who'd care?" But now, thinking on it a bit, I realize that's not the point... actually, it's a question I should legitimately be asking. I mean, how should I know who'd care, and who am I to determine that? I should be willing to offer myself and let others decide if they care... its a philosophical principle I'm trying to adhere to in terms of art and performance, so just go with me on this.

Here's a brief glimpse at me, in my general time-and-place... I'm finishing my thesis, which gets me my MA in psychology. By finishing, I mean that I'll be doing some rather minor here-and-there edits; for the most part, it's done. As far as getting it DONE, I'm going to shoot for finishing in two weeks.

Next week, I'll be laying down tracks on my CD... I'm a little freaked out about this one, becasue my voice is acting a little wonky with allergies and all. Nevertheless, I'm doing this, rain or shine, and all my new stuff will at least be recorded somewhere for the sake of my remembering how my own songs go. I mean, okay, it's oficially my first CD, but I don't know. I'm not going to get rich on it or anything.

In two weeks, I move to New York, and I start my first semester of PhD work at Fordham. John- my legally bound partner in crime- will be going with me for the first week, then coming back to Texas for the begining of his last year of teaching at the high school and the simultaneous completion of his masters... we're all very proud or whatever. Thing is, it's all in a day for us... if he wasn't doing three or four major things at once he'd get bored. I don't know if he gets it from me or if I get it from him, but that's how it's always been with us.

I have some general preparations to attend to before the move, including the general fare (packing, goodbyes, goodbye party, etc.), as well as setting up my meds and appointments with my doctors before leaving. I'm not due for my next scan until sometime around spring break, so all I need to be sure of is that I have enough of a levothyroxine prescription to last me between now and then. Besides, who knows... I might find a doctor I really like while I'm up there.

Speaking of going up there, I'm racking up a list of what I hope to do there. Fencing is definitely high on the list. Accordingly, so is working out daily, which means getting acquainted with the school gym facilities. I'd also like to find a venue or two for performing my stuff (bars/coffee houses?), perhaps even get invlved in theater, which I've missed very much for the past two years. If there's any time for it, I'd love to find a good kung fu school... it's been too long since I've had a sifu to work with. For now, that about does it.

That's me, for the moment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home