Saturday, July 22, 2006

When there's nowhere to go but up

And I'm not saying things were that bad. I mean, they've been worse, that's for sure. Still, they sucked. So I was feeling kinda bumbed out about my apartment being in the state it's in (unfinished, partially painted, flooring a disaster) and my being completely unmotivated at this point to do much of anything about it... I was also licking my wounds from my creepy moment with the gaggle of Hispanic guys over in the Bronx, and I'd start crying every time I saw anything that even resembled a dog. I've been better. Anyway, things began to improve before too long, like they tend to.

I got started with my new kung fu school a couple of weeks ago, and it's been fantastic. I've already learned most of my first form in the tai chi class, weapons class (staff form), and mantis class, and the place is a really nice facility full of really nice people. I know it's something else I'll have to pay for, but there's no doubt in my mind that it's worth it. Besides, I've really missed training formally in a martial arts school, and I think I really needed this right now, so there was no question about whether I'd be doing it or not, despite the cost. And really, it's not too bad moneywise, when you put it into prospective. The only problem now is convincing John that he's got nothing to be jealous about. Sure, I'm a little bit ahead of where he'll be when he gets here, but we both know he'll be catching up in no time. So yeah, that's been good. Therapeutic, too, of course. Nothing like punching and kicking to get over a bad-touch kind of night and an apartment that's laughing at you.

Classes have begun for the second summer session, and they're going well enough. I mean, they're classes. We're not having a party or anything. But it's nice to see everyone again, and it's nice to feel that I'm not the only one who felt as though my brain was suffering from some kind of academic atrophy. I was feeling like a slacker, since I had only done minimal work on my thesis additions and conference proposal. Turns out I've been doing more than a lot of people, so I don't feel so bad anymore. Besides, I'm the only one that seems to have been teaching over the summer, so at least there's that. Anyway, the reading load for my classes is a little ridiculous, but it keeps me busy, which is good, because being busy on schoolwork right now feels beeter that being busy painting the friggin' apartment. Not that I don't have to do that as well, but it makes for a nice change, so I'm not complaining. Not too much, anyway.

So then there was a heat wave in New York. Naturally, my people in Texas have been whining about their 106-degree weather non-stop, so they weren't about to hear my woes about my 99-degree piffle. Still, I had a legitimate beef... I've got no air conditioner. I have a window fan, but that's it. Try that in 99-degree heat, wherever you are, and I'd say you have reason to complain a tiny bit. I have an air conditioner coming this Tuesday, but it's more sweating till then. My aunt has also offered me her old air conditioner, but I can't seem to reach her, so it's the waiting game for me. No matter... we've had rain over the last two days, which has cooled things off a little. I mean, the fan blows a little water on me sometimes, but I'll take that over the oven-heat air it's been blowing in until now.

Okay, so the floor is a wreck, the painting's not done, I'm still grieving, and still pissed about bastards who can't keep their hands to themselves. As for my own hands, though, they're keeping busy with more than their share, and happily so. Tomorrow, I'll be cantoring at a mass at Fordham's University Church... it's been a while since I've done one of these, so I've got a touch of the butterflies, but I'm sure it'll be fine. I'm also getting together with Jane afterwards, which will be really nice. I'm trucking along, and it's a little lonely, but whatever. John will be here in less than two weeks, the apartment will no doubt be finished soon, I'm half way through my classes for the summer, and kung fu is just marvelous. So yeah... I'm good. Keep the upswing coming.

3 Comments:

Blogger jane said...

The cantoring was great, and it was great to see you! maybe we could meet up in Manhattan one of these days, before your apartment is ready for Official Viewing. ;)

By the way -- during the huge heat days, I turned on the AC in your old room, dragged a sleeping bag in and slept on the floor. All my sympathies for your not having had AC. Hopefully it won't be that hot again this summer.

Sunday, July 23, 2006 5:04:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seven Days.....till I get there. Love you.

Saturday, July 29, 2006 2:56:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greets to the webmaster of this wonderful site. Keep working. Thank you.
»

Saturday, August 12, 2006 8:18:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home