Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Sitting on my benchmarks

It rained all day on my brithday. I stayed home for most of it, alone, working on a number of things for classes, conferences, teaching preparations, and so on. In the evening, I went to the Bronx for a choir rehearsal, then came straight home. My umbrella was broken, so I got rained on pretty nicely on the way back. Happy birthday to me.

On the other hand, I got some pretty fantastic presents. Chuck sent me a TiVo box with a year's worth of service. I love Chuck. He understands me. Then there was John's gift (which he announced was only one of a few), a new iPod video. I love John. He understands me. It would appear that both husbands did exceptionally well on the gift-giving front this birthday. Mom sent me a planner (she sent me the same thing last year... at least she's consistent) and a card. Thanks, mom. I got phonecalls from a good many folks, several emails and texts of well-wishing. All in all, I felt pretty well thought of.

The question, then, is whether or not I felt thirty.

Mom said something interesting to me when she called to wish me a happy birthday. She said, "I'm glad that you're at the age you're at." Since most of what my mother says requires some further explanation, I asked for it. She told me that she was reflecting on my age, and that she must therefore be pretty old, but that she didn't feel old at all, so she hoped that I didn't feel old either. (See what I mean by 'needing explanation'?) So, then, do I feel old?


Please.

I mean, have you seen the way I live? No, I think I'm just fine with being thirty. I look okay, feel okay, and all my parts move fine. I sing, I fence, I do academic crap, I go out and do the occassional social bit... I've got few complaints. Mind you, I get a little anxious now and then when I think about how the hell I'm going to eventually pay off my student loans, but whatever... live in the now, right? And right now, it happens to be birthday week. Haunting thoughts of student loans be damned.

I've got tons of work this week. No matter... I should find a way to enjoy myself over the next few days. Like work ever stopped me...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home