Monday, September 18, 2006

Relaxed relapsing

Since John's arrival, I've been particularly keen on actually caring a little about what I wear on a daily basis. Don't read too much into that, though. You see, last year I was living a ten minute walk away from campus, and usually had a workout of fencing in the evening, so most of what I wore consisted of sweat pants, tee shirts (and sweatshirts, when the weather demanded it), and cross trainers. Since moving to Brooklyn, I find that I'm in the City every day, regardless of what I have planned. Therefore, sweats seem to be a little less appropriate for daily wear.

Today, however, I made an exception. Since this will be the first day of sabre fencing for my crew, and since this is also the day I earmarked as my long-awaited return to the gym, I decided that, rather than lug around a big bag full of clothes to change into, I'd simply wear my workout clothes to campus. Meaning, of course, that I'd be wearing my workout clothes to Lincoln Center, which I don't believe I've ever consciously done before. It was strange, I'll admit, to walk by the Time Warner Center and see my reflection as I passed, donning a blue tee-shirt and purple sweatpants. I jerked my head away from that sight so fast that I nearly injured myself. When I got to campus, a couple of my students saw me, but I honestly think they failed to recognize me, which was fine to me either way. I'm a student, too, and I'm entitled to being slovenly. Besides, I don't look homeless or anything... it's just workout clothing, after all. People walk around in tee shirts and sweat pants all day, all the time... why on earth should it bother me? Strange, how what seems like such a small change can make you take entirely different perspectives on your day-to-day. It has for me, anyway.

Meanwhile, I get my reading and my work done, I go to my classes when they spring up in my schedule, and now, starting tomorrow, I sing in choir once more. Not to mention fencing, which will be on Mondays and Thursdays. Lurking in the background, of course, is my damn CD, which is now completely mixed (save a tweak or two, which I go back to finalize this Friday), and I've officially set the order for the tracks. Mark will have the absolute final mix in his hand on Monday of next week for mastering, and it'll be in duplication about a week after that. See? Progress. I mean, I knew this wasn't going to be easy, but I didn't realize there were so many stupid hoops to jump through, and I'm not much for hoop-jumping.

Ugh... I have a class to go to. Frankly, I'd rather sit here and complain about the class I have to go to (Regression Analysis... you'd complain, too) than actually go. So much for what I'd rather do.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Em, so when can we expect the CD? I still have my heart set on a few...Hope you guys are doing really well. I miss you down here. PS...Still planning a trip to NYC. We are going to Chicago in Oct and Nov (BTW, Annie DeFranco is playing there in October).
Love, K

Wednesday, September 20, 2006 5:09:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home