Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Coming up for air, but just for a second

And not because I enjoy being negligent or anything. I've just been busy... you know.... like a crazy person. I have the CD now, but I haven't had a chance to promote it because I've been running this conference, and now the conference is done, so now I can get to work on the rest of my school work, along with a possible presentation at another conference in about a month. But yeah, I'll get to promoting those CDs in just a sec. Honest.

I really need to, of course. They're just sitting in the hallway of my apartment, boxes stacked on boxes of them, and the top one is open with a few CDs missing. Lovely... what progress I'm making! All this time, all this work, all this saving up money and struggling to bring this project together, and what comes of it? Boxes stacked in my hallway???? Apparently, yes. No matter... I'll crank it up this summer, devoting most all my time to promotion of the album. Besides, what kind of an idiot would I be if I let my schoolwork falter as a result of this thing? No, I'll get to it, believe me. And I'm just as serious about it as I ever was. Just really busy, that's all.

My mom came to visit for the first time since I've been here, and she seemed to have a pretty good time. She was on her way to the Phillipines, and she's stoping by again on her way back to Texas next Monday, so I'll get a chance to show her around a little (which I didn't get to do last time, what with it being easter and all). Nothing much to report there beyond that.

Ugh. I'm lame.

No, I'm bored. Okay, and that makes me lame, I suppose. But seriously, what can I possibly do to liven things up a bit? I'll be going back to the open mic circuit in two weeks, I've been writing new music, my predoc thesis work is almost done, I finished my conference and didn't die in the process, I've completed the choir season and didn't choke on my solo, My CDs are finally complete, I haven't gained any weight back, and I've only been sick once this semester. What more could I possibly want?

Well, for starters, I have no social life whatsoever. Naturally, I blame John. Not because it's his fault on a personal level, but because it's his faul on every other level. When I'm done with my day, I want to go home to be with him. Nothing wrong with that, right? Okay, so the problem arises when we spend our time together AT HOME. It's no big secret that I like to be out and about, and he actually does, too, but our days are so long and we're so often in different parts of the city that home seems the most logical place to meet up. Ocassionally, we have dinner, or we do a little shoping, but that's about all we have time or money for. Besides, John has virtually no friends out here, and that saddens me. It's not that he's anti-social or anything. His problem is his field of study. He's a classicist. Classicists are freakishly boring and nerdy and a complete drag. Broad generalization, I know, but most classicists would agree with me on this one. At any rate, there's you're garden variety classicist, and then there's John. 'Nuff said. Anyway, he spends all his time around these people, has no interest in socializing with them, and then goes to the gym before going home. That's his world these days, in a nutshell. He says he still loves being in New York, and that he's perfectly happy with just me and some of my friends to hang out with. Still, I feel terrible about talking shop with folks from psychology or philosophy whenever he's there, becasue I don't want him to feel like the third wheel in the conversation (not that he doesn't follow what we talk about... he just finds it incredibly boring, like most living, breathing humans). Also, there are times when I go out with friends after class for a quick drink or dinner, and I know John's got nothing like that. It irks me because there's nothing to be done about it. Maybe, in time, there'll be someone cool that comes into his department. I doubt it, but I guess it doesn't hurt to hope.

Don't get me wrong... I don't feel too sorry for him. He still lives a charmed life. He teaches the classes he wants, he kicks ass in his coursework, and he stumbles onto one ridiculous oportunity after another as if he's trying to rub it in. Maybe this is nature's way of striking a balance... he gets no social life, but he does get everything else. Hmmm... that's not so bad, really. Still, I'm the sort that wants both, and I know he's the same way. Give us a month or so to work on it. Meanwhile, we'll just get through this semester before planing out our social calendar.

1 Comments:

Blogger ShanitaChikitaBonita said...

Hey Emily :) Your mom gave my dad a copy of your cd and I think it is a beautiful album. I have to say that the 7th track, "Unsaid" is my favorite. I was even hoping the album had lyrics in it too. It'd be great if I sang along with the right lyrics hehehe :D

I'm definitely placing your songs in my iPod ;)

Wishing you luck from halfway round the world,

Shanta

Tuesday, April 24, 2007 8:35:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home