Monday, March 17, 2008

Spring break, in theory

Because I'm not feeling very "breaky" so far. Granted, school's been in recess since last Wednesday, but I've still been working, so I have to feel just a little bitter. I know there are a few of my friends out and about in the world, taking advantage of the fact that spring break is still a break. I, on the other hand, didn't quite catch on, so here I am, slaving. It could be worse, I guess, but since it's not, grrrrr.

On the bright side, John and I are getting to spend a little more time together, which is always fantastic. The other day, we decided to walk from Columbus Circle (60th) down to Union Square (14th). Thinking it was going to be a long trek, we mustered up our courage and went for it. Strangely enough, it was over before we knew it, and we didn't feel a thing. It reminded us of how far we've come, how a walk like that would have rendered us worthless for a week back in the fat days of a year or two ago. Now, it was barely noticeable, and that was nice, albeit a little surreal. In fact, being this new size is still pretty weird for me. I catch myself in mirrors or windows and freak out a little, even now. I thought I'd be past all that already, but it seems not... it's better, but not quite gone. Given the fact that it's still a little cold outside, I sometimes go for my runs on the treadmill at the gym. Every so often, I'll see myself in the mirror... running... my arms and legs showing muscular definition I've never seen before on my person... a couple of times, I've had to double check to make sure it was actually me and not some other person on a treadmill next to me. Sure enough, I'm coming along, and I'm not looking back, I can tell you.

All this work is for the marathon, sure, but there's more to it. I'll be getting a new photo shoot booked soon, and I'll be performing more often in coming weeks. I remember comments from people back in Dallas, before I left... "You've got a great sound, and if you lost that weight, you might make it." Well, I took it to heart. At least now I have a fighting chance, yes? Well, it's worth a go, at least. Sometimes, it really is all about the packaging. 

As for school, that's coming along. It's now a matter of doing the work and getting through, as far as I'm concerned. I'm doing more than I have to at every turn, which is always a good idea, and always exhausting, but that's the dirty little secret no one tells you in grad school... going above and beyond is actually the norm, and those that don't are actually underachieving. Go figure... I'm actually just average after all. Oh, well... time to top myself, then. I'm looking into going through the process of licensure, which is not the normal way of things in my particular program. The way I see it, it's another necessary sort of thing they don't tell you about... we need all the extra help we can get in this field, and licensure is just that sort of edge. I hope so, anyway, because I'm doing it.

Tomorrow is actually a calm day for me, the closest to an actual spring break day I'll be getting. Video games are on the agenda, and not much else. Trust me, I'm perfectly happy with that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home